Volunteer as Gopher
Each year we need volunteers to help us out during the weekend. Without volunteers, there would be no Abunai! at all. As a volunteer you get some great perks and you get to work with a fun group of people who share the same interests.
Our volunteers are also known as ‘Gophers’. We work with three-hour shifts. There are different shifts to choose from, so that you can find something suitable for you. The shifts are as follows:
- Cloak room shift: You will help out in the cloak room by hanging up and returning coats and bags from the visitors.
- Event shift: You will help set up events, shifting tables and chairs around or assisting the one in charge during the event or lecture. A separate events manual containing detail on each event and what is expected of you will be provided.
- Register shift: During the register shift you will help check in all the visitors that arrive at the Abunai! venue. It’s mandatory for every visitor and crew member to check-in. For this shift it’s important that you are stress resistant, customer friendly and representative. Before you begin this shift you will get a briefing before you get to handle the register system.
- Info desk shift: The info desk is where visitors can get general information such as opening hours, bus information and event locations. As gopher stationed behind the desk, it’ll be your task to help visitors in need. The info desk also functions as the ‘lost and found’.
- Video room shift: In this shift you will help in the video room. You will mainly keep the videos running and watch the video room.
- General: The general shifts cover all sorts of tasks. This could be anything the Abunai! staff, or maybe even location (NH Koningshof) staff needs help with.
- Stand-by shift: During this shift you will stay on-call in the gopher lounge. The gopher manager will alert you if a staff member is in need of a gopher. You also may get asked to help set up shifts and to keep the gopher lounge clean. It is mandatory to stay in the gopher lounge during this shift.
Aside from meeting and working in a team of lovely volunteers, you also get some other great perks if you help us out! For example, if you did your job you will get your ticket refunded. You will also receive an unique Abunai! t-shirt! There’s a lounge for all volunteers and staff where you can hang out, relax, or get something to eat and drink. We also try to arrange seats for gophers who can’t wait in line for popular events if they have a shift right before the event starts. But that’s not all! We also have a little get-together some time after the convention, to show our appreciation for all you lovely volunteers!
To join the gopher team you have to:
- Be at least 16 years old
- Understand Dutch and English
- Be available for a minimum of 6 hours a day for the entire convention
If you wish to volunteer as gopher, you will be able to sign-up when you’re checking out your ticket in our webshop. First-time gophers will receive a refund after the convention. Returning gophers can contact us through our contact form in order to obtain a coupon code for their ticket.
Please get in touch with us through our contact form. You will get an answer as soon as possible!